SAVORY YOGURT BOWLS TO DELIGHT YOUR GUT
| Killeen McGowan | December 2018 |
When it comes to yogurt, fruity, sweet, or plain-Jane is the standard route. But, who says it can’t be a savory experience?
Imagine thick, creamy, probiotic-packed greek yogurt as a base for rich, seasoned savory-style flavor. It really flings the door wide open into a world of new possibilities! Danny Seo, Naturally has taken that inspiration and run with it. Below are three of Danny’s colorful, inventive add-ins to get your daily dose of live-cultures for a happy and satisfied gut.*
Carrots are super healthy; lots of biotin, Vitamin K, fiber, and vitamins B6 and C.*
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 1 pound of carrots (cut into ½-inch slices) on top, and toss with a little olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Roast at 400 degrees until fork-tender.
- Puree in a food processor with 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Chill and swirl away!
- Bake cleaned and trimmed beets in the oven at 400 degrees.
- Wrap each beet tightly in aluminum foil and place on middle oven rack and roast for 1 hour, or until fork-tender.
- When the beets are cool enough, peel off the skins and dice them up.
- Beets are loaded with potassium, fiber, iron, and vitamins A, B, and C.
The marbleized green yogurt above is from liquid chlorophyll, which you can find at any health food store. Chlorophyll is what gives plants their green pigment, and is considered a super potent ingredient. In the body, the green liquid promotes detoxing by binding to toxic metals, and is loaded with antioxidants to help repair and protect cells.* But what does it taste like? Minty and mighty fresh.
...toasted nuts, fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar, freshly cracked pepper and good oils to dress up a yogurt treat.
Looking for more ideas to eat your way to better digestive health?*
Another probiotic-rich option is Sauerkraut; its limitless uses just might make it your new condiment of choice. If cabbage isn’t your thing, don’t worry, there are a whole host of foods to consider for optimizing your microbiome.*