SAVORY YOGURT BOWL WITH ROASTED BEETS AND SPICED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Another favorite recipe from our friend, chef and environmental lifestyle expert Danny Seo! This time, he’s sharing the perfect dish for a satisfying and not overly sweet breakfast.
Yield: Four 8-ounce servings
- 3 medium beets
- 2 cups filtered water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cut beets lengthwise into small wedges and add to a large sauté pan. Reserve smaller beet tops for garnish.
- Add water, salt, oil and vinegar to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until almost all the liquid has evaporated, skimming off any foam.
- Turn off flame, cover pan with a lid, and allow beets to steam for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and chill in freezer for 5 minutes, or until cold.
Spiced Maple Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Fold together pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Spread seed mixture into a single layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the moisture of the maple syrup has evaporated, stirring mixture halfway during the cooking process.
- 1 orange
- 1 quart organic whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest orange, avoiding the pith (approximately 1 tablespoon), into medium bowl. Juice the same orange (approximately 2/3 cup) into the bowl. Add yogurt, olive oil to orange mixture.
- Stir to combine, return to container and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, place yogurt in bowl. Top with beets and spiced maple pumpkin seeds.
Good to know: Make this dish for a satisfying and not overly sweet breakfast.