Sustainability and Social Impact
- The majority of MegaFood’s products, our tablets and capsules, come in amber glass bottles - which contain 30% recycled glass content and because they are glass, are considered optimally recyclable. Our gummies are packaged in PET, plastic resin code number 1, which can be recycled, however, is not optimized due the plastic label. Please check with your local recycling centers to be sure these materials are accepted in your area.
- Our chews comes in multi-layer plastic pouches which are not optimized for recycling
- To address our plastic footprint, MegaFood is now Plastic Neutral Certified. That means for every ounce of plastic purchased from us, we collect and recycle the same amount of nature-bound plastic pollution. We do this with our new plastic neutral partner, rePurpose Global. To read more about rePurpose Global, please visit: https://repurpose.global/
- What’s next? MegaFood will prioritize using post-consumer recycled materials, materials that can be recycled curbside, along with the using the How2Recycle logo to clearly communicate recycling instructions to consumers.
- In 2019, MegaFood presented a petition of over 80,000 signatures to the EPA requesting a ban on the use of glyphosate as a drying agent in oats. While the EPA did not follow through with a ban, the campaign elevated awareness of the glyphosate issue. MegaFood was the first supplement company to have its products certified Glyphosate Residue Free by the Detox Project.
- MegaFood is proud to be B Corp Certified, which means we lead by using business as a force for good and demonstrate high social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability.
- Training Growers - Identifying opportunities to educate and advance knowledge of regenerative agricultural practices within the supply chain
- Collective Action - Participate with other companies and organizations that are working collectively to make a difference and helped initiate an independent, third-party verified standard for soil health and carbon sequestration
- Funding Regenerative Research - Investing dollars in research efforts that may significantly help improve the system
- Amplifying Voices - Elevating those who are doing work to regenerate the planet but who may not have ready access to resources
By planet-first, we mean that as a B Corporation, we prioritize the planet, people, and our performance in all business decisions. We meet high verified standards of environmental performance, transparency, and legal accountability. We are not in first place, we are not the most, or the best, but we are committed to improving our impact from how we source our ingredients, to the packaging we use, and even how we ship them. We are not only focused on reducing our environmental footprint across our operations and supply chain but on how we can help make the planet healthier through supporting the regenerative agriculture movement. Our B Corp Certification, 1% for the Planet membership, Native Renewable Energy Credits (RECs), Impact report, Plastic Neutral Certification, and investment in regenerative agriculture research are all examples of how we are working towards this commitment.
Still have questions?Return to FAQs
1% for the Planet Partnership
Started in 2002 by Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia) and Craig Mathews (founder of Blue Ribbon Flies), 1% for the Planet is a global organization that exists to ensure our planet and future generations thrive. It is founded on the idea that a company has a responsibility to give back for use of the planet's resources.
As of January 2024, 1% for the Planet’s global network consists of over 5,000 business members and 5,500 environmental partners.
By donating 1% of annual sales, we can maximize the impact we have with partners dedicated to working on social and environmental solutions to grow a healthy world. As part of our 1% commitment, MegaFood is working with, and financially supporting three main partners:
- National Young Farmers Coalition, an organization that shifts power and changes policy to equitably resource the new generation of working farmers.
- Women’s Earth Alliance, a grassroots organization committed to protecting the environment, ending the climate crisis, and ensuring a thriving world by empowering women’s leadership.
- Soil Carbon Accrual Project, in an 3-year academic partnership with the Cal State University, Chico, MegaFood is funding research to help understand the scientific benefits of regenerative agriculture practices.
MegaFood believes it’s important to give back. For us, that means everything from monetary contributions to volunteer time. In 2022, we gave $1.235 million in financial donations, product donations, sponsorships and small grants to environmental organizations. To learn more about MegaFood’s environmental and social impact, visit megafood.com/impact.
No - absolutely nothing will change! As a partner with 1% for the Planet, MegaFood will continue striving to craft the most efficacious, planet-first vitamins and supplements powered by plants.
As of January 2024, 15 VMS brands have joined the movement. “MegaFood’s commitment to donate 1% to the Planet underscores how human health and environmental health go hand-in-hand.” - Kate Williams, CEO of 1% for the Planet.
MegaFood is one of just 250 with both certifications. “At MegaFood, what drives us every single day is our mission… to be a leading force for good in the world.” - Andy Dahlen, CEO of MegaFood
To learn more, visit onepercentfortheplanet.org
Still have questions?Return to FAQs